Practical training for Quantitative Economics students
The aim of the practical training is to gain economic research experience by applying the theoretical knowledge obtained during the coursework to the empirical or theoretical study of a specific economic problem.
* Knowledge about requirements raised during the working in real work environment
* The ability to describe the considered (economic) problem
* Ability to collect and analyze information and empirical data
* Ability to work with academic literature
* The ability to apply various research methods in order to solve the particular research problem
* The ability to interpret and explain the obtained research results
* The ability to plan ones time and to report about ones activities
* Team-work experience
Students work in various institutions (ministries, Eesti Pank (central bank of Estonia), state agencies, international enterprises, etc) on the study of a research problem proposed by the particular institution or the student. The practical training will finish with the defence of the report of the research work. For the defence the student will submit the assessment by the institution on his/her performance during the practical training and the written report on the research work undertaken. The written research report should follow the normal structure of a research paper and include its standard parts, like motivation of the research problem, description of the employed methods (data, econometric or mathematical models), overview of the research results, conclusions together with possible implications of the research results.
Alternatively the report of the practical training may be in the form of a logbook that describes the activities undertaken and the skills applied during the practical training according to the sample given.
- 16.06.17 Submission of practical training application to the Dean's office or scanned/digitally signed to kadi.kollamets [ät] ut.ee
- 01.06-31.08.16 Completion of practical training (other dates possible on negotiation)
- 11.09.17 Submission of practical training report/logbook and letter of evaluation from supervisor
- 18.-22.09.17 Defence of practical training